Instagram is another useful social tool to develop and engage your target audience, whether it be for a travel, blog small business or just personal use.
To try reduce “spam” accounts Instagram has imposed a number of limits on how you can use the accounts. It is a good idea to be aware of them so that you don’t get locked out of your account.
- Yep there is a an overall limit to the number of accounts that you can follow 7500. Not many will get to this limit, but if you do you can use Iconosquare.com to get information about how you are using your account. You may want to consider having a clean out and getting rid of those that really hold little interest for you.
- There is also an limit of following 20 people per hour.
- However there is no limit on how many people can follow you.
If you do decide to have an account clean our the unfollow limit is 100 per hour.
There is a limit of 350 likes per hour, but no limit on overall likes. Unless you are going crazy or using an automated tool, it is highly likely you will reach this limit, but it is worth being aware of.
You are limited to 30 hashtags per post, although this is a great idea, as looking at more than 30 would just be painful, I do recommend using as many as possible especially in the early stages to build your following.
Wisely there are also limits on characters, as you don’t really want to be reading essays on your smart phone.
- Instagram name is 30 characters
- Bio is 150 characters
- Post captions are limited to 2200 characters
- Comments are limited to around 240 characters, they don’t actually cut you off mid-word.
There are no limits on the number of posts that you can share, in any time. So you can share as many as you want in any hour or in total.
Limits apply to the number you can delete, although it is not exact some people have experienced issues after trying to delete 5-10 posts at a time.
If you are using your Instagram account to develop and engage an audience it is highly unlikely that you will actually hit these limits. Avoid anything automated as it is highly likely you won’t be reaching your target audience anyway. It is still worth being aware of the limits, just in case you do sit down and get over excited.